Vignettes from 2011!

Another year has come to a pass and a new year has ushered into our lives,bringing with it an air of new hopes,aspirations and opportunities-at least for the fortunate souls.Well 2010 was a year of grief on the personal front,as my family had to endure with the loss of two of my uncles.Although I wasn't at home at the time of death,it took a toll on me.I can vividly recall how my uncles showered their love,affection and blessings, every time I turned up at their place,as if it was just yesterday.On hindsight,the best way to deal with tragedy is keeping your mind pre-occupied.
And Thousand Miles provided me just that! Thanks to my friend,Rathin Dutta, who had this brilliant idea of launching a English web-magazine.At the core of this idea was a zeal to reach out to the world, to provide a platform where we can show-case our talents. Rathin,a very good writer, along with a few like-minded souls whose passions were creatively inclined,including Mukunda,Devarshi and yours truly,thus began on this new endeavour. It was,of course,the highlight of the past year.
However the road wasn't so smooth as it seemed at first glance. As the Technical Supervisor,I was responsible for the technical aspect of the website, right from its design,in consultation with the associate members, to the final look.I didn't have any previous knowledge in WordPress and this is where my good,old school friend Manjil Pratim Saikia,becomes very convenient.His extensive knowledge in website building has been instrumental in my learning process.An enterpriser himself,he's involved directly or indirectly in the inception of several leading websites from Assam.
Thus,after two months of hardships and toil, we finally launched our website on 24th April,2011.It was a moment of jubilation for the four of us and one that I'll carry on with me for a long,long time. 2011 also holds significance for the new acquaintances made over the year,including Anuraag Reyan Mahanta,Tinam Borah and Kantadorshi Parashar (sorry if I've missed anyone-blame it on my frail memory)and rejuvenating some old ties-thanks to Facebook I found my sister Rineesha Ba after all those years! :-)
Nevertheless,the defining moment of 2011 had to be the 10 days spent at IIT Madras while attending a course on DSP,involving the Blackfin Processor.For whatever it's worth,the IIT's can be regarded as the holy grail for engineers in India.So just being there,sitting in the conference hall,hearing the lectures of the wizened old men with a spark in their eyes, as they effortlessly navigated through the sea of knowledge accumulated over the years,and realising at the same time that the professors standing in front of your eyes are perhaps the best on the subject in the country-it was a privilege for me.It was an extraordinary experience!I also realised that good professors are those that make learning seem easy-even though the topics were a year ahead,I was able to grasp it substantially.
As the year drew to a close,my 5th sem results were declared.I managed to score a healthy 87.7% which bettered the previous sem results by 4.7%.Hence I was reasonably happy and satisfied.The year ended on a fulfilling note for me and I just hope the coming year 2012 brings much more happiness and prosperity to our lives!

Comments

Popular Posts