Book Review:Revolution 2020

Revolution 2020Revolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat


My rating: 3 of 5 stars




I was bit apprehensive about picking up this book in the first place as my friends told me it wasn't as good as '5-point someone'.However with exams having ended and the extended monsoon season kicking in Chennai,I wasn't left with much of a choice.To my surprise,I found the book very well-written.Well Chetan Bhagat,as rightly pointed out to me by one of my friends,is an IIM alumni which means he has cracked CAT,and it's to be taken for granted that he has a rich repository of vocabulary.But not all writers are good story-tellers.Chetan Bhagat,for his part seems to be blessed adequately and with time,I believe,he will improve.


Coming back to the novel,the writing style was never a problem with Chetan Bhagat.It's Indian English at its best.What intrigued me was the plot!It was a love triangle,in essence.But it also showcased the indecision that girls have to face sometimes in a relationship when faced with two suitors.And whoever she chooses to go with in the end,the other has to suffer.And in between the other has to die a million deaths.


However,I feel Chetan Bhagat didn't do enough justice to the title.The 'revolution' part was there,but not in so adequate amounts so as to grace the title of the novel.


All said,it was a good read not the best,perhaps because I know,Chetan Bhagat is capable of much better.During the writing stage,he has done a lot of research for this novel and he deserves credit for that.His interpretation of the female psyche and their unspoken lengua de comunicaciĆ³n-an eternal enigma for the opposite sex,deserves applause.


My fav line: "Love,officially,is nothing but a bitch."






View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts